Minutes of the TURANT General Assembly held on May 6th, 2018 at UT Dallas between 14:00-18:00.
Following the Turkish and American National Anthems;
- The Board and the president presented the 2017 financial statement and it was accepted. Attached is the 2017 financial statement provided by MFS Accounting Firm.
The following Bylaw changes have been proposed and voted and accepted.
- Article II, Section 2. “As an exemption for 2018 election, last day for the membership due is the election day (May 6th, 2018).”
- Article III, Section 2. “The Board of Directors shall consist of up to nine (9) Directors which number may be increased or decreased from time to time at the Annual Meeting of the Active Members; provided, that at no time shall the number of Directors be less than five (5) and shall at all times be an odd number.”
- Article III, Section 3. “The Nominating Committee shall present the slate to the Board of Directors not less than seven (7) days prior to the date of the Annual Meeting.”
- Article IV, Section 2. “The Board of Trustees shall consist of three (3) Trustees. At the time of nomination, election or appointment, each Trustee must be an Active Member of the Corporation and have been an Active Member of the Corporation for at least two (2) years, including and at least one (1) year immediately preceding the date of the nomination or appointment.”
- Article IV, Section 4. “All members of the Board of Trustees shall be elected to serve a three (3) year term or until their successors shall be appointed or elected.”
- Article VII, Section 1. “A Nominating Committee consisting of three (3) Active Members will be appointed by the Board of Directors no later than November 30th of each year.”
- Article VII, Section 4. “Instruments with amounts greater than $4,000 must be approved by Board of Trustees within seven (7) days.”
The following candidates were voted for and elected as follows for the 2018 – 2020 Turant Board of Directors.
- Naci Kavrar – President
- Burak Volkan Coskun – Vice President
- Nilay Aki – Secretary
- Ozan Aki – Treasurer
- Berkay Talay – Reporter
- Cansu Cansever – Student Communication
- Damla Hovland – Membership Coordinator
- Erdal Sipahi – Board Member
- Onur Kasaburi – Board Member
- Serkan Inci – Board Member
The following motions were discussed:
Serkan Inci: It’s time to be aggressive about growth. Turant has to be open to aggressive growth strategies.
Dr Fatma Gul: CYDD is not trying to undermine TURANT’s activities. CYDD has a mission to support education, especially for the under-privilege students.
Nilay Aki: We’d love to collaborate and work together with CYDD.
Burak Coskun: To increase the number of TURANT members, we have to provide solid services and activities to our members. We will start to design our membership card.
We discussed about providing consultancy services for prospective, new, and existing students.
The Following motions we discussed on The Turkish House Project. Our members have identified a need for The Turkish Cultural Center “Turk Evi”. The members decided to form a Steering Committee with suggestion from the President.
- Naci Kavrar,
- Kursat Saatci,
- Prof Dr Tevfik Dalgic,
- Hakan Gul,
- Serkan Inci will lead the Steering Committee.
- Deniz Kilic,
- Koray Sevilmis, and
- Erdal Sipahi.
The following members were nominated and elected to the Board of Trustees;
Prof Dr. Tevfik Dalgic and Tarik Pirkul in addition to Dr. Fatma Gul.